Monday, September 10, 2012

CrockPot Chicken Tortilla Soup

This recipe comes originally from Miller Musings. You can see the original post here. 
We had Nana, Papa, and Johnny over last night when we tried it out and everyone gobbled it up.  It's easy and so yummy!  I'll share the small changes I made at the bottom, but am posting the recipe as I found it.

2 chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans Ro-Tel (I like the lime & cilantro, but the regular is fine)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn
1 onion, chopped
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
1-2 cups of water
1 Tbsp garlic powder*
1 Tbsp chile powder*
1 Tbsp ground cumin*
1 Tbsp dried cilantro*

tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

*Instead of these spices, you could include a packet of Taco seasoning if you prefer.*

Put chopped onion, cans of beans, rotel, corn, chicken broth, water, and spices in CrockPot and stir to mix. Put chicken breasts on top of mixture and make sure they're at least partly submerged in liquid. Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 8-9 hours. Before serving remove the chicken breasts from soup and shred, if needed, (sometimes they'll just fall apart on their own, but sometimes they need some help). Return chicken to CrockPot, stir to combine.

To serve put a few tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, ladle soup over tortilla chips, top with shredded cheddar cheese, (we used a Mexican blend and it was yummy), and a dollop of sour cream, serve with more chips if you like. Enjoy!

Ok, the changes I made were cutting back on the spices a bit. It still had quite a kick and I probably only did 3/4 Tbsp. instead of the whole Tbsp. it called for on the spices.  I also didn't add any water at all. I didn't drain the corn, though. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to and I didn't.  It was still plenty soupy, but if you like it even more soupy, then add the water. If we had added the water it probably would have helped cut the kick out of the spices a bit.  I just have to add that my house still smells so yummy this morning from this cooking all day yesterday! Hope you like it! I know it's a keeper for our family!

Submitted by: Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment